Legal Notices & Disclaimers

Your Privacy Rights

It is each Waters health plan’s policy to protect your health information to the extent required by applicable law, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). All health plans will make reasonable effort to use, share or request only the minimum necessary information to accomplish the intended purpose, taking into consideration practical and technological limitations.

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)

Annual notice of your rights under the law. Any health information that is collected or maintained by Waters’ medical plan, dental plan, vision plan, Health Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or Retiree Health Care Reimbursement Plan for you or a covered family member is protected. Waters and its business associates are committed to protecting the privacy of your health information. A Notice of Privacy Practices, which sets forth the circumstances under which the plans may use and/or disclose your health information, is available on the Waters intranet.

The following rules apply under HIPAA. If you do not enroll in a medical plan for yourself or your dependents (including your spouse/partner) when you are first eligible because you have other health insurance coverage, you may be eligible to enroll yourself or your dependents at a future date, provided that you request enrollment within 30 days after your other coverage ends (or if the employer stops contributing toward your or your dependents’ other coverage). In addition, if you have a new dependent as a result of marriage, birth, adoption or placement for adoption, you may be eligible to enroll yourself and your dependents, provided that you request enrollment within 30 days after the marriage, birth, adoption or placement for adoption. To request special enrollment or to obtain more information, please contact the Waters Benefits Now Call Center at 1-866-994-5111 (1-407-471-9359 outside the U.S.). If you do not enroll within the 30-day period following such an event, your next chance to enroll will be during the annual Open Enrollment period.

Health Care Exchange

You have the opportunity to enroll in a plan through the Health Care Exchange. Go to for options and costs. Waters’ full notice on this can be found on in the library.

The Women’s Health and Cancer Rights Act of 1998

Annual notice of your rights under the law. Under a Waters medical plan, coverage will be provided to a member who is receiving benefits for a medically necessary mastectomy and who elects breast reconstruction after the mastectomy for:

  • Reconstruction of the breast on which a mastectomy has been performed;
  • Surgery and reconstruction of the other breast to produce a symmetrical appearance;
  • Prostheses; and
  • Treatment of physical complications of all stages of mastectomy, including lymphedema.

This coverage will be provided in consultation with the attending physician and the patient, and will be subject to the same annual deductibles and coinsurance provided for the mastectomy.

COBRA Rights

If your employment with the company ends, your health coverage will end on the last day of the month in which you terminate. If you wish to continue coverage beyond this date, you may be eligible to elect COBRA continuation coverage if you timely elect it. Call the Waters Benefits Now Call Center at 1-866-994-5111.

Important Information About Your Prescription Drug Coverage and Medicare

Starting January 1, 2006, new Medicare prescription drug coverage became available to everyone with Medicare. Waters has determined that the prescription drug coverage offered under each of its medical plans described in this guide is, on average for all plan participants, expected to pay out as much as the standard Medicare prescription drug coverage will pay. You should compare the coverage available to you from Waters, including which drugs are covered, with the coverage and cost of the plans offering Medicare prescription drug coverage in your area and determine which is best for you. If you decide to enroll in a Waters medical plan, you will have the opportunity to enroll in a Medicare prescription plan when your Waters coverage ends. A Medicare Part D creditable coverage notice is available on the Benefits Now Web site at More information about Medicare prescription drug coverage is available by calling 1-800-MEDICARE, visiting or contacting your state’s health insurance assistance program.

Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

As an eligible employee, you can receive up to 12 weeks of time off in situations such as the birth or adoption of a child, an employee’s serious illness, or the need to be a caregiver for a seriously ill immediate family member.

First week (40 hours) at 100% pay, if you’ve worked at Waters for at least one year.

Workers’ Compensation

As a Waters employee, your enrollment in our workers’ compensation program is automatic and at no cost to you. If you become injured on the job, however, your specific benefits are established by the state where the injury occurred.

Waters’ workers’ compensation insurance is provided by Liberty Mutual and covers medical expenses and lost wages due to a work-related injury.

For details, email

Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008

In accordance with the law, mental health and substance abuse benefits are provided in the same manner as medical and surgical benefits. The medical plans meet the requirements for equity between medical benefits and mental health/substance abuse benefits in:

  • Financial requirements, including deductibles, copays, coinsurance and out-of-pocket expenses;
  • Treatment limits, including number of visits and days of coverage; and out-of-network coverage.

Minimum Creditable Coverage

Most Massachusetts residents age 18 or older must have affordable health coverage that meets Minimum Creditable Coverage (MCC) standards. Although employers are not required to provide health coverage to their Massachusetts employees or meet MCC standards, the Massachusetts Health Connector agency has requested that employers help their employees meet MCC requirements. While there appear to be no requirements that carriers or employers notify individuals in advance as to whether or not the coverage available for election meets MCC requirements, Massachusetts employees should know this information before signing up for employer-sponsored coverage.

In addition, reporting obligations apply to those whose employee health benefits do meet MCC standards. All employers or their vendors that provide “creditable coverage” as of any December 31 to an employee who resides in Massachusetts must send the employee Form 1099-HC no later than January 31 of the next calendar year.

Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA)-(SBCs, non-grandfathered status, etc.)

Under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) some medical plans are considered “grandfathered health plans” and some are not.

  • Not grandfathered. Waters Corporation has determined that our medical plans are not considered grandfathered health plans.
  • PPACA compliant. Waters Corporation has determined that our medical plans are compliant with all PPACA mandated changes.
  • Questions about grandfathered plans. To learn more about which protections apply and which do not apply to a grandfathered health plan and what might cause a plan to change from grandfathered health plan status speak to the Human Resources Department or contact the Employee Benefits Security Administration, U.S. Department of Labor at 1-866-444-3272 or as well as the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services at The Department of Labor website has a table summarizing which protections do and do not apply to grandfathered health plans.

Summary of Benefits Coverage

To help you understand and compare your health coverage options, Waters Corporation provides access to a Summary of Benefits Coverage (SBC) for each medical plan available to you. These summaries are viewable in the library on You may also request a paper copy, free of charge, by calling 1-866-994-5111.

Wellness Program EEOC Regulatory Notice

The Waters Wellness Now – Wellness Your Way program, found on, is a voluntary wellness program available to all employees and their spouses (if applicable). The program is administered according to federal rules permitting employer-sponsored wellness programs that seek to improve employee (an individual’s) health or prevent disease, including the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008, and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, as applicable, among others. If you choose to participate in the wellness program you will be asked to complete a voluntary health assessment or “HA” that asks a series of questions about your health-related activities and behaviors and whether you have or had certain medical conditions (e.g., cancer, diabetes, or heart disease). You will also be asked to complete a biometric screening, which will include a blood test for Total Cholesterol, HDL, TC/ HDL Cardiac Ratio, Glucose, Blood Pressure, Height, Weight, BMI, and Waist Circumference. You are not required to complete the HA or to participate in the blood test or other medical examinations. Employees who choose to participate, and choose to complete a Health Assessment, among other available actions, are eligible for potential incentive awards. Please review the available program options on And before participating, please read the Wellness EEOC Notice found in the Library of this web site, or under the My Documents section of

Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) Notice

Premium Assistance under Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

If you or your children are eligible for Medicaid or CHIP and for health coverage from your employer, your State may have a premium assistance program that can help pay for coverage. These States use funds from their Medicaid or CHIP programs to help people who are eligible for these programs, but also have access to health insurance through their employer. If you or your children are not eligible for Medicaid or CHIP, you will not be eligible for these premium assistance programs.

If you or your dependents are already enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP and you live in a State listed below, you can contact your State Medicaid or CHIP office to find out if premium assistance is available.

If you or your dependents are NOT currently enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP, and you think you or any of your dependents might be eligible for either of these programs, you can contact your State Medicaid or CHIP office or dial 1-877-KIDS NOW or to find out how to apply. If you qualify, you can ask the State if it has a program that might help you pay the premiums for an employer-sponsored plan.

60-day window for enrollment changes

Once it is determined that you or your dependents are eligible for premium assistance under Medicaid or CHIP and under your employer plan, your employer must permit you to enroll in your employer plan if you are not already enrolled. This is called a “special enrollment” opportunity, and you must request coverage within 60 days of being determined eligible for premium assistance. If you have questions about enrolling in your employer plan, you can contact the Department of Labor electronically at or by calling toll-free 1-866-444-EBSA (3272).

States with Premium Assistance Programs (with contact info):

If you live in one of the following States, you may be eligible for assistance paying your employer health plan premiums. Contact your State for further information on eligibility.

  • ALABAMA – Medicaid


Phone: 1-855-692-5447

  • ALASKA – Medicaid


Phone (Anchorage): 907-269-6529



Phone (Maricopa County): 602-417-5437

  • COLORADO – Medicaid

Medicaid Website:

Medicaid Phone (In state): 1-800-866-3513

Medicaid Phone (Out of state): 1-800-221-3943

  • FLORIDA – Medicaid


Phone: 1-877-357-3268

  • GEORGIA – Medicaid


Click on “Programs,” then “Medicaid,” then “Third-Party Liability,” then “Health Insurance Premium Payment Program (HIPP)”

Phone: 1-800-869-1150

  • IDAHO – Medicaid and CHIP

Medicaid Website:

Medicaid Phone: 1-800-926-2588

CHIP Website:

CHIP Phone: 1-800-926-2588

  • INDIANA – Medicaid


Phone: 1-800-889-9949

  • IOWA – Medicaid


Phone: 1-888-346-9562

  • KANSAS – Medicaid


Phone: 1-800-792-4884

  • KENTUCKY – Medicaid


Phone: 1-800-635-2570

  • LOUISIANA – Medicaid


Phone: 1-888-695-2447

  • MAINE – Medicaid


Phone: 1-800-977-6740

  • MASSACHUSETTS – Medicaid and CHIP


Phone: 1-800-462-1120

  • MINNESOTA – Medicaid


Click on “Health Care,” then “Medical Assistance”

Phone: 1-800-657-3629

  • MISSOURI – Medicaid


Phone: 573-751-2005

  • MONTANA – Medicaid


Phone: 1-800-694-3084

  • NEBRASKA – Medicaid


Phone: 1-800-383-4278

  • NEVADA – Medicaid

Medicaid Website:

Medicaid Phone: 1-800-992-0900

  • NEW HAMPSHIRE – Medicaid


Phone: 603-271-5218

  • NEW JERSEY – Medicaid and CHIP

Medicaid Website:

Medicaid Phone: 1-800-356-1561

CHIP Website:

CHIP Phone: 1-800-701-0710

  • NEW YORK – Medicaid


Phone: 1-800-541-2831

  • NORTH CAROLINA – Medicaid


Phone: 919-855-4100

  • NORTH DAKOTA – Medicaid


Phone: 1-800-755-2604

  • OKLAHOMA – Medicaid and CHIP


Phone: 1-888-365-3742

  • OREGON – Medicaid and CHIP


Phone: 1-877-314-5678

  • PENNSYLVANIA – Medicaid


Phone: 1-800-692-7462

  • RHODE ISLAND – Medicaid


Phone: 401-462-5300

  • SOUTH CAROLINA – Medicaid


Phone: 1-888-549-0820

  • SOUTH DAKOTA – Medicaid


Phone: 1-888-828-0059

  • TEXAS – Medicaid


Phone: 1-800-440-0493

  • UTAH – Medicaid and CHIP


Phone: 1-866-435-7414

  • VERMONT – Medicaid


Phone: 1-800-250-8427

  • VIRGINIA – Medicaid and CHIP

Medicaid Website:

Medicaid Phone: 1-800-432-5924

CHIP Website:

CHIP Phone: 1-866-873-2647

  • WASHINGTON – Medicaid


Phone: 1-800-562-3022 ext. 15473

  • WEST VIRGINIA – Medicaid


Phone: 1-877-598-5820, HMS Third Party Liability

  • WISCONSIN – Medicaid


Phone: 1-800-362-3002

  • WYOMING – Medicaid


Phone: 307-777-7531

To learn if any more States have added a premium assistance program or for more information on special enrollment rights, contact:

  • U.S. Department of Labor

Employee Benefits Security Administration; 1-866-444-EBSA (3272)

  • U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services; 1-877-267-2323, Ext. 61565


This eGuide provides a summary of some of the benefit plans offered to Waters Technologies Corporation employees.

If there are discrepancies between the information included in this guide and the applicable plan documents or insurance contracts, the plan documents and insurance contracts will govern in all cases.

Waters reserves the right to amend or discontinue the plans described in this guide at any time.